Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Eye Candy

I don't have much time today
so I'm just going to post a little
Eye Candy!

Things I've made at or since
I got home from ArtUnraveled.

Resin Charms
Instructor ~ Sherri Haab

Carved Rubber Stamps
Instructor ~ Traci Bunkers

Wire Crochet
Instructor ~ Susan Lenart Kazmer

Sterling & Copper Ring
Made from Sheet Metal & Wire
Instructor ~ Susan Lenart Kazmer

Rock & Etched Copper....Ring or Pendant...Not Finished
Instructor ~ Susan Lenart Kazmer

Woven Sterling Wire Bracelet
Instructor ~ Susan Lenart Kazmer



Things I bought at ArtUnraveled.

Purse Mirror ~ Traci Bunkers

Acrylic Pendant ~ Wynn Studios

Glass Blob Pendants ~ Beth Quinn Designs

"Fairy Queen" Tin Box
Sorry, I don't remember the vendor.

Buttons, Ribbons & Fabric ~ SAS Fabrics
You can buy fabric by the pound!!!

Lots of Other Goodies
Mostly from Hannah Grey & Vintage Charmings

Pencil Ring ~ Susan Lenart Kazmer

This is my favorite thing I bought! When signing up for classes I just signed up for the classes that looked interesting to me, I didn't know who any of the teachers were so that wasn't a factor in choosing my classes. But when someone asked, who's teaching your classes, I looked and I had signed up for almost all of my classes with the same instructor, not planning it or even knowing who she was I feel like to really lucked out and got one of the best teachers there!

After my first class I went back to my room and told Amanda about this ring, I loved it! Susan had been wearing this ring all week long & I had been lusting after it all week long, telling Amanda about it over and over again! In my second to last class someone asked her about pricing. She gave this ring as an example, this ring was one of her favorite pieces and although it was not terribly difficult to make or have a lot of precious metals, it was one of her favorite pieces and would be priced in the hundreds of dollars if someone really pressured her to buy it, where as something that's more difficult could cost less....you get the picture.

In our last class Amanda & I along with a few other people were still there after class got out, Susan had taken the ring off during class and it was sitting on the table. Amanda was admiring it and told Susan how great it was and how I had been lusting after it all week. I said "ya, but she won't sell it" and her response was "ya, but I'd sell it to you guys", without hesitation Amanda handed me the ring, remembering what she said about hundreds of dollars, I took a big gulp and said "how much?", her response "for you guys [pausing] $45". I don't think I've ever whipped out my credit card so fast, I wanted to pay for it before she changed her mind!

Some of you are going to look at this ring and say "I can't believe you paid $45 for that ring!" and the rest of you will understand that when you find something that you love the cost is only part of what make you decide to buy it. Now would I have paid hundreds of dollars for the ring? HELL NO, but I fell in the love with the ring on the first day of classes and was already planning on how to make one for my self when I got home. Having taken all my classes from her, learning so much from her & getting a TON of inspiration from her, and lusting after the ring all week long, to me $45 was a steal!

I just have to say, if you EVER get a chance to take a class from her, even if you are not a jewelry artist, TAKE IT!!! She is so inspiring, just being around her lifts you up, she so willing to share her knowledge as a jeweler, she encourages everyone & makes you feel like what ever it is that you create is awesome & beautiful. So far, hands down one of the best teachers I've had since I have started taking jewelry classes.

I really have to run, gotta get ready to go rock out with Joan Jett!

More later.......

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I love everything you made! Great stuff! and I had left a comment on amandas blog about susan l kazmer, if I could take a class from her my life would be complete!! I have admired her stuff for years, the found junk bracelets she makes are awesome, I would love to own one or anything from her, you are very lucky to have one of her pieces!!!
I am so going with you next year!!!

Amanda said...

Your bracelet and stamps kick ass, oops I am allowed to curse on this blog! I think you are so incredibly talented and creative. You rock.